Back Home

Village Photos

 

 

 

 

Village Photos

 

 

 

 

This is a selection of our photos from around the village, if you have any photos that we could use please contact us.

 

 

 

 

Stanley Signal Box

 

 

Stanley Station waiting room

 

 

Saint Peters School

 

 

Mount Road

 

 

Shires house stood on Intake Lane and was the Shires Pit Managers house. It was demolished in the 1950s to make way for the prefab houses that still occupy the site today

 

 

Victoria Café and filling station which stood on the junction of Lime Pit Lane & Aberford Road

 

 

Stanley Church 1934

 

 

Lane Ends Quarry 1905, today the library is to the left of this photo

 

 

 

Stanley Station

 

 

Hatfeild Lodge 1900

This building stood opposite The Graziers on Aberford Road at the bottom of The Hatfeild Hall driveway, photo courtesy of Samantha Crockett

 

 

Stanley Grove Floods March 1932

This area was prone to flooding right up to the 1950s, large areas between here and Lime Pit Lane would be under water for weeks at a time.

 

 

Stanley Institute

 

 

Garden Gate Inn 1982

This building on Intake Lane was used as an Ale House in the 19th Century

 

 

Stanley Picture House

Known in the Village as "The Clog & Rhubarb"

 

 

Aberford Road View

Photo from around 1900

 

 

Aberford Road around 1910

 

 

Stanley Lane Ends

 

 

Stanley Station 1904

 

 

Baker Lane 1950s

 

 

Church Fields

 

 

Saint Peters Church

 

 

Stanley Postcard from around 1905

 

 

The Graziers Hotel

 

 

Aberford Road 1920s, the old cinema is to the left

 

 

Stanley Hall

 

 

Church Gates

 

 

Saint Peters Church around 1905

 

 

Church interior after the 1911 fire

 

 

Church interior after the 1911 fire

 

 

Stanley Hill

 

 

West Hall 1905

 

 

The old Bar House 1908 that was opposite Stanley Hall on the junction of Bar Lane

 

 

The 1911 church fire

 

 

Lake Lock Post Office

 

 

Church Street

 

 

Lane Ends WMC

 

 

The Vicarage

 

 

Canal Lane 1950s

 

 

The Grove, Aberford Road

 

 

Photo taken at the juncyion of Lime Pit Lane and Aberford Road 1950s

 

 

Long Causeway

 

 

Newmarket Lane, the house is now 100ft above the duel carridge way

 

 

View up Rooks Nest Road 1920s

 

 

Stanley Carnival 1920s, photo taken opposite todays Youth Club

 

 

Bowling behind the old Lane Ends WMC

 

 

Aberford Road 1905

 

 

The Wheatsheaf, early 1970s

 

 

Lime Pit Lane 1972, photo courtesy of John Shaw

 

 

The old cinema, now Gordons Tyres

 

 

Laying of the foundation stone after the church fire 1912

 

 

Stanley Secondary Modern postcard

 

 

The Railway Hotel, later the Spindle Tree

 

 

Looking towards the old crossroads at the top of Newmarket Lane. Moorhouse is now on the right, the house on the left is still there

 

 

Stanley Postcard

 

 

Church interior before the fire

 

 

Ouchthorpe Lane

 

 

View over the 19 Acres

 

 

This photo is of a young good looking lad by the name of Mark with his loyal companion "Kim" they were stood at the back of number 22 Chapel street, Stanley. circa 1973

 

 

Colour Photos

Lake Lock, photo by George Parfitt

 

 

Aberford Road looking towards Oulton as work starts on the M62. The bridge to the right was part of the line that ran from Lofthouse to Newmarket. The area is almost unrecognisable in comparison to today

 

 

Miners Arms, Lee Moor 1960s

 

 

Lime Pit Lane 1960s

 

 

River Calder postcard

 

 

Lake Lock Yard 1970s

 

 

Lake Lock Yard 1970s

 

 

Drapery shop Lake Lock 1970s

 

 

The Wheatsheaf 1970s

 

 

The Railway Hotel 1960s

 

 

Gledhills, looking down towards the Lane Ends WMC 1970s

 

 

Farleys shop, Long Causeway

 

 

Stanley Lane Ends 1960s

 

 

The Old Doctors Surgery opposite The Wagon & Horses 1970s

 

 

The old mill Canal Lane 1960s

 

 

Lake Lock fish shop 1970s

 

 

Top of Baker Lane 1970s, the shop is on the left

 

 

Saint Peters Church 1970s

 

 

Kevs fish shop 1980s

 

 

The old doctors surgery Lane Ends, 1970s

 

 

The old classrooms behind Saint Peters School 1990s

 

 

Brearleys 1970s

 

 

Saint Peters Church interior 1970s

 

 

Lime Pit Lane 1990

 

 

Building the Community Centre 1990

 

 

Stanley Gala 1970s

 

 

Stanley Gala 1970s

 

 

Lane Ends 1970s

 

 

Lane Ends 1960s

 

 

The old quarry Lane Ends 1970s

 

 

The old Doctors Surgery and View towards Mount Road 1970s

 

 

Saint Peters School 1970s

 

 

View over Stanley from Newton Hill

 

 

 

Back to top of page